Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Fic Qui (Reviewing "Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock")

Hoo boy. How do you talk about "Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock" by Matthew Quick? The book is disturbing, to be sure, but it has a sense of humor, a deep self-depreciation, and a wonderful back and forth dialogue.


A quick summary for you: Leonard is a bit different. He loves Hamlet by Shakespeare and movies with Humphrey Bogart. He sometimes skips school to pretend to be an adult, dressing in his "funeral suit" to follow the most miserable adult on the bus wherever they're going. And on the day of his eighteenth birthday, he decides that he is going to take his grandfather's WWII war trophy, a P-38 Nazi handgun, and kill both his former best friend, Asher, and himself. But before he decides to "shuffle off this mortal coil", he wants to deliver gifts to those who have meant the most to him: his Bogie loving neighbor, Walt, a violin playing classmate from Iran named Baback, a home schooled student, Lauren, and his history of the holocaust teacher, Herr Silverman. As he delivers his last gifts, Leonard slowly reveals his secrets and what has led to his startling decision to commit murder-suicide.

Yes, this book is a little depressing. Yes, this book is a little disturbing. Yes, this book is DEFINITELY for a more adult reader. Between the subject matter, the language (the f-bomb is dropped numerous times), and the general mental stability of our main character, the book is great for a more advanced, more mature reader.

Five Defects
  1. This book has sporadic footnotes. I don't mind reading a novel or info book with a plethora of foot notes (I mean, I'm a Mary Roach fan for goodness sakes), but the foot notes exist in the beginning of the book and suddenly no longer exist! Where did they go?
  2. I disliked the portrayal of some teachers in the novel. Granted, I take it with a grain of salt - it's teachers from a student's perspective. But I distinctly dislike the portrayal of female educators in this book. It doesn't ruin it for me, though. That and the whole idea of "mandatory reporting" is NOT done in this book.
  3. Ugh. Leonard's mother is SO messed up.
  4. I understand the letters, I do. They almost made me feel that the book was going to go Sci-Fi on me instead of realistic fiction, though.
  5. Why isn't there a firm ending? WHY? I want there to be something a little more firm, but I think the ending is beautiful in its own way.
Five Delights
  1. Oh, the humor! It's what makes the serious, really dark subject matter of this book bearable. Without the laughs here and there, the book would be too depressing to read.
  2. The book keeps you guessing and doesn't really let you know what's happening until the end. I love how it unfolds as the story progresses.
  3. Oh, Herr Silverman. That is a teacher, folks. That is a teacher.
  4. The book has a very authentic voice. Matthew Quick obviously understands trauma and mental illness very well. I appreciate a book dealing with some serious mental issues that doesn't handle it like a traditional "mental illness" book.
  5. The book messed with my mind and I love a novel like that. As things unfold, I kept on being surprised, turned around, and off balance. I really enjoy that.

3 comments: