Pages

Monday, April 14, 2014

421.1 (Alphabets -- English language)

Edible book festival time has come and gone and there were some really fantastic entries this year, and quite a few more than last year, too. My entry this year was based on Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Billy Martin Jr., John Archambult and illustrated by Lois Ehlert. I thought my entry looked pretty stunning when I put it together in the morning...


But the room was SUPER warm (a warm spring days plus a still running heating system 'cuz we don't turn those off until summer in Wisconsin) and everything started melting. By the time the photographers and social media people for the library got there, it looked something more like this...

Photo from the Library News coverage of the event
See the not so hot top? The leaves kept falling out because the cake and frosting were too warm to hold them. One of my fellow librarians texted me each time a leaf fell and I did some emergency surgery a FEW times throughout the course of the day. I was bummed, I tell you! Thankfully, it didn't stop me from being one of the winners for Best Visual Presentation. The judges understood that cake disasters happen.

More coverage of the event and photos of ALL the entries can be found at the UW-Madison Libraries News & Events website. My personal favorite? The entry based on The Book Theif done by a co-worker at the library. I did quite a bit of giggling.

The head of my department at the library forced the winners to have their pictures taken with their entries before they were destroyed (mine fed the "boys" at my husband's weekly guy night and other parts ended up in the trash). So here I am smiling with my entry to end the post. Not to shabby if I do say so myself. Next year? I'm feeling a little Seuss-y. You'll just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment