Pages

Friday, August 2, 2013

Fic Cla (Reviewing "Clockwork Angel")

It has been a spectacularly long time since I've read anything but children's books, but getting ready for a teaching placement this fall at a local high school, I'm back in the world of reading YA literature.



My first novel as I dive back into the world of YA lit is "Clockwork Angel" by Cassandra Clare. The first book in Clare's "The Infernal Devices" series and prequel to her "Mortal Instruments" series, the book was a fantastic, beautifully sculpted read. This book threw together some of my favorite things in any novel: Victorian England, the supernatural, a tiny romance side plot (love triangle?), and a smattering of steam punk sensibilities.

I think the thing that pleasantly surprised me about Clare's novel was that even with a female protagonist, it was romance light and extremely action heavy (blood, guts, slaying, etc). Tessa Gray, our female protagonist, finds herself in dire peril (kidnapped, held prisoner, and "tortured") within the first few chapters of the novel, and the action doesn't let up after that. How could I possibly say no to a book that opens with the line "the demon exploded in a shower of ichor and guts"?

If you want a synopsis of the book, you can go read the summary and review provided by Amazon by clicking the link above. I don't want to go into the details here. There is far too much awesome in this book for me to even being writing a decent short summary. I'm just going to include my Bottom 5/Top 5 list below.

Five Defects
  1. Sometimes the plot moved SO much, I felt a little disoriented if I wasn't close reading.
  2. This book starts with a prologue. It really didn't need one... even though it did have an AWESOME opening line.
  3. The character of Jessamine. I never did like a stuck up rich girl. I'm hoping there is more character development for this poor girl in future books.
  4. How very many times Will's looks were mentioned in the book. I get it. He's pretty.
  5. WHY DO YOU END LIKE THAT!? You answer none of my questions book!
Five Delights
  1. Poetry and literature integration throughout the novel is fantastic. I love that Tessa, Will, and the other characters often quote poetry or prose that fits the moment. I also love that each chapter begins with pieces of poetry that are by and large taken from poetry the characters would have read and been familiar with.
  2. I think it might be shaping up to be a Team Will or Team Jem decision. I don't know how I feel about this, but I know that I like it. Who's side are you on?
  3. Beautiful, descriptive prose that doesn't get too flowery or long winded. I love that Clare is just as likely to write about the blood and battle as she is about Tessa's feelings and thoughts. I have no problems imagining this world in gritty, glorious detail.
  4. A female protagonist who OBVIOUSLY changes in the book and learns how to make decisions for herself by the end. Yes, some of her decisions are based on "female propriety" and "pretty boys", but generally, I'm not annoyed by Tessa at all. She's hardly what I would call wishy-washy.
  5. I cannot wait to read the next one! If all my questions are left unanswered by future books, though, I will probably start to hate this series... but the ending definitely makes me want to read the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment