Pages

Monday, February 24, 2014

808.899283 (Adolescent literature) - Stop Animation

Our second project for class was creating stop animation videos - Rebekah wanted us to know how to do this so that when our public library teen technology event rolls around, we have some choices of what to teach to teenagers.

For my stop animation video, I decided to use my miniature Dalek that I got as a Christmas gift my my husband, and since Valentine's day was quickly approaching, I decided to give the video a Valentine's Day flare. I set up my Canon Rebel T2i on a tripod pointed at my kitchen "island" with a very narrow focus and I used one of my "daylight" lamps from my cupcake photo rig for filler light, as my kitchen is a little dark.

The first time I shot the photos required, I only took about 200 pictures. I took those images to Windows Movie Maker and set each photo to last 0.1 seconds. I was absolutely dismayed at the jerking of my camera and the less than smooth "motion" provided by these pictures. I decided to scrap those photos and reshoot. My second take had a little over 300 pictures and I was far happier with the result. I added music from SoundzAbound (thanks ECB and Badgerlink for giving Wisconsin residents access!) and added a title screen and credits in Windows Movie Maker.

All said and done, the project took about 3 hours to complete, including the upload time to YouTube. The time probably could have been shortened to a little less than 2 hours if I hadn't taken the time to reshoot the photos. For future stop animation projects, I would definitely want to purchase a remote clicker for my camera - there is still more jerk in the images that I would like, but that is due to me having to physically touch the camera to take an image.

For your viewing pleasure, here's "A Dalek-table Valentine".

No comments:

Post a Comment